Would you prefer watching or reading this episode? If so, click here for the ‘Benefits of Cinnamon’ video and transcript.
I’m so excited to bring you this conversation about cinnamon with herbalist Bevin Clare. Bevin has a profound love for cinnamon … she even named her daughter after cinnamon! Beyond that, she is filled with so much information about how to work with herbs beyond capsules and expensive products, so that you can really enjoy them in your everyday life.
You’ll also receive instant FREE access to Bevin’s luscious Heart Synergy Fudge recipe. With its easy-to-find ingredients, this recipe is such a wonderful example of how you can make food that’s both delicious and powerfully medicinal. I’m looking forward to hearing you ooh and ahh over it!
By the end of this episode, you’ll know:
► Which species of cinnamon to work with medicinally
► What size a medicinal dose of cinnamon is and several ways you might easily include this in your everyday diet
► Why including a variety of herbs and spices in your food every day, even in culinary (as opposed to therapeutic) amounts, can be so powerful
For those of you who don’t know Bevin, she’s an herbalist, nutritionist, homeschooling parent, a professor at the Maryland University of Integrative Health and the program director of the master’s and clinical medicine program. She holds an MSC in infectious disease and is the author of Spice Apothecary, and a former president of the American Herbalist Guild. You can find her wandering the world with her two children, munching on spices, exploring markets, and immersing in the plant world.
Bevin’s experience as an herbalist is richly diverse and I couldn’t be more delighted to share our conversation with you today!
People love the war analogies with infection… I think conventional medicine and antibiotics are like dropping bombs, and they do stuff, kill a lot of things. And I think that herbal medicine is like infiltration and espionage… It’s very subtle, and it’s very nuanced, and it can have profound effects, but not in such an overt, blatant way.
What You’ll Learn from This Episode
- [01:09] Introduction to Bevin Clare
- [03:52] How Bevin found her vocation
- [08:29] The many hats Bevin has worn as an herbalist
- [13:03] Visiting a cinnamon plantation
- [15:16] The difference between cassia cinnamon and true cinnamon
- [19:36] Working with cinnamon as medicine
- [22:31] Bevin’s Heart Synergy Fudge recipe
- [25:38] Herbs and spices as an everyday food-based practice
- [28:37] Bevin’s book, Spice Apothecary
- [30:19] “I don’t want to rely on this herb for the rest of my life.”
- [32:39] Closing thoughts about cinnamon
- [34:20] Bevin’s course about travel
- [39:41] How is herbalism misunderstood by the general public?
Download Your Free Recipe Card!
Connect with Bevin
Connect with Rosalee
Are Your Ready for More Herbal Inspiration?
The best way to get started is by joining my herbal community and
weekly newsletter where I share my best herbal tips and insights.
When you join you’ll also get access to The Herbal Jumpstart Course which helps you figure out the best herbs for you.
Sign up below!