Rhodiola is an amazing herb to support you during times of stress! It’s energizing without causing jitters, supportive to the immune system, helpful to modulate the physical effects of stress as you’re making lifestyle changes. Rhodiola rosea is so rich in gifts, but these very attributes have led to overharvesting and sustainability issues. That’s why I am excited to share this conversation with Ben LeVine with you!
Ben not only shares a lot of information about the efforts that are underway to protect this wonderful herb, but also gives questions you can ask suppliers to make sure the rhodiola (and other endangered herbs) you are buying were harvested sustainably. And as a listener, you’ll also receive instant access to his recipe for Rhodiola Energy Balls.
For those of you who aren’t already familiar with Ben, here’s more about him. Sitting quietly atop a Colorado mountain peak, Ben LeVine felt a voice from his favorite herb that would define his future: “You were meant to become an herbalist. Just let the plants guide you.” That path has led him to the farthest corners of the Earth and back, driven to unravel the mysteries of the world’s most powerful plants. Now as Co-Founder and Chief Herbalist of Rasa, he’s using those potent herbal secrets to revolutionize your morning energy ritual with the power of adaptogens.
Listen in for:
► Considerations and questions to ask when sourcing rhodiola
► Why rhodiola’s growing conditions make it adaptogenic for humans
► What cautions should you be aware of when working with adaptogenic herbs?
It was a delight to speak with Ben and I’m so happy to share our conversation with you today!
Are you using adaptogens to build a ladder out of the bucket or are you just using [them] to struggle longer? I’m seeing adaptogens sometimes co-opted this way – like a one-to-one replacement for coffee, with no lifestyle changes, no introspection.
Would you prefer reading this episode? If so, click here to download a transcript.
Would you prefer watching this episode? If so, scroll down below.
Connect With Ben
What You’ll Learn from This Episode
- [01:09] Introduction to Ben LeVine
- [02:05] Ben’s path to becoming an herbalist
- [05:28] Why Rhodiola rosea is one of Ben’s favorite herbs
- [06:37] Sustainability concerns when working with rhodiola
- [08:17] What are rhodiola benefits and who is well-suited to working with rhodiola?
- [10:05] How is rhodiola similar to and different from coffee and other caffeine-containing beverages?
- [11:53] Why sustainability is such a major concern with rhodiola
- [15:29] What efforts are underway to protect rhodiola’s future?
- [17:00] Considerations and questions to ask when sourcing rhodiola
- [18:55] How rhodiola’s environment creates health benefits for humans
- [23:31] Ben’s Rhodiola Energy Balls recipe
- [27:00] How adaptogens are similar to the probiotics in fermented foods
- [28:55] What is Rasa and how did the company get its start?
- [33:01] How Rasa sources its herbs
- [39:21] Cautions when working with rhodiola and other adaptogens
- [41:31] What Ben wishes he knew when he first started working with herbs
Download Your Recipe Card
— TIMESTAMPS —
01:34 – Introduction to Ben LeVine
02:32 – Ben’s path to becoming an herbalist
06:00 – Why Rhodiola rosea is one of Ben’s favorite herbs
07:16 – Sustainability concerns when working with rhodiola
09:00 – What are rhodiola benefits and who is well-suited to working with rhodiola?
11:03 – How is rhodiola similar to and different from coffee and other caffeine-containing beverages?
12:58 – Why sustainability is such a major concern with rhodiola
16:52 – What efforts are underway to protect rhodiola’s future?
18:30 – Considerations and questions to ask when sourcing rhodiola
20:33 – How rhodiola’s environment creates health benefits for humans
25:16 – Ben’s Rhodiola Energy Balls recipe
28:51 – How adaptogens are similar to the probiotics in fermented foods
30:48 – What is Rasa and how did the company get its start?
35:01 – How Rasa sources its herbs
41:40 – Cautions when working with rhodiola and other adaptogens
43:50 – What Ben wishes he knew when he first started working with herbs
Connect with Rosalee
Are Your Ready for More Herbal Inspiration?
The best way to get started is by joining my herbal community and weekly newsletter where I share my best herbal tips and insights.
When you join you’ll also get access to The Herbal Jumpstart Course which helps you figure out the best herbs for you.
Sign up below!